Thursday 7 May 2020

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch...?

Food waste is a massive issue here in the UK.

According to the LoveFoodHateWaste website, we waste 4.5 million tonnes of edible food waste, per household, per year!
To put it simply, this is safe, fresh food that's still good to eat and we are chucking it out.
Crazy if you ask me!

For years now, I have had some understanding on the impact food waste is having on the environment and as a result I have been keen to not waste food or at the very least very very little of it.
Not only is it good for the planet to not waste food but also good for the budget!

Last year, I signed up to the app Olio.
Olio is an app that connects with neighbours and local businesses so that surplus food can be shared out rather than wasted for FREE!
I have benefited from this many times and have always been really pleased.
Just yesterday, someone in my village posted several items from our local Co-op.
I requested the wraps, croissants, bread and the most deliciously Sourdough bread!
Little Girl and I ate the wraps and shared a chocolate croissant for our lunch. A free lunch!
The bread has gone into the freezer and I'll just take slices out as and when I need them.
So much better than the food rotting in landfill.

In my area, there is always food being offered via Olio several times a week. I will request items if I know that I will eat them but if I think it's unlikely that I will use an item then I won't make contact as it's not good if it's just going to sit in my freezer or even worst go to waste!

I know in cities particularly London, lots of food is offered such as sandwiches, wraps and pastries from bakeries and shops - the list is endless.

I think this is a fantastic initiative and certainly helps the food budget.

If you've not heard of Olio, why not check it out?

Speak soon, take care,

Amanda





No comments:

Post a Comment